29 December 2006

Covering "Can’t Find My Way Home"

Doing justice to a great song in a cover version is tricky business. Even the greats can stumble.

Eric Clapton demonstrates both sides of the coin. In his cover of Jimi’s Little Wing on Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs, he fails. Clapton also misses the mark on his cover of Bob Marley’s I Shot the Sheriff on 461 Ocean Boulevard. But Clapton nails Steve Winwood’s Can’t Find My Way Home every time out.

To get the word out, with a tip o' the hat to Carnal Reason, I note a recent, excellent cover of Can’t Find My Way Home by Alison Krauss on the Crossing Jordan soundtrack. As always, Ms. Krauss surrounds herself with musicians that would make the instrumental track alone sufficient. But Krauss goes on to find the heart and soul of this poetic quest for sobriety and peace.

No comments: