12 January 2011

Louis Jordan: "Saturday Night Fish Fry"

*

The first time I heard this cut it brought a big smile to my face. I recognized a phrase, a part of a phrase actually, that Chuck Berry had borrowed for his 1958 single Around and Around. Of course Jordon's influence on rock runs deeper. Popular with both black and white audiences, known as "The King of the Jukebox," Jordon made the music that rockers of the 50s grew up on. His brand of 40s New Orleans jazz would be one of the essential sources of the rock 'n' roll flood to come. So enjoy a little taste of what they're playin' at the Rampart Street Saturday Night Fish Fry.

4 comments:

whiteray said...

Oh, yeah!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting. I just recognized this shared bit of lyric after hearing "Saturday Nigh Fish Fry" for the first time, and wondered if this is a well-known piece of lore.

Paco Malo said...

Dear Anonymous,

Thanks for your comment. As to how well this similarity is known, I'm sure there are hard-core R&B fans who caught the similarity, but I doubt it's widely known. That's just a guess though.

Paco

Shirlee said...

WAY COOL ; ))