16 January 2007

Chances are we’ll make it back ….


(Repost)
If you want objectivity, stop reading here.

Just after midnight on October 30, 2005, Sheryl Crow entranced this viewer with her debut of the song “Good is Good” on SNL, from her new release Wildflower. Forty minutes later she had unplugged the electric guitars and proceeded to reinvent, Nashville-style, her classic “(Are you) Strong Enough (to be my man)”, from her first album Tuesday Night Music Club.

A few weeks later, I got my hands on a copy of Wildflower. After listening to 3 and a half of the album’s cuts, I had to turn off the stereo. I was swirling in the eye of The Electric Prunes’ “I Had Too Much Too Dream Last Night".

As I have followed her solo career, I always thought Ms. Crow was work in progress, growing with each release. I am now ready to risk a prediction.

Double-clutch gear shift. Sir Isaac Newton spent an enormous amount of time calculating the date of the Second Coming / Judgment Day / the front wall fresco in the Sistine Chapel.

By 2060, the year in which Newton calculated the Apocalypse would occur, Ms. Crow’s body of work will rank with Jimi’s, Hank Sr.’s, Ms. Cline’s, and Mr. Lennon’s.

I’ll betcha my guitar.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: